Summer Herbal Remedies
Aloe Vera is a naturally cooling and nourishing plant renowned for maintaining youthful looks, healthy skin and balanced digestion. It clears inflammatory heat from the body, whilst supporting gentle detoxification of the liver. It has been used for thousands of years for its healing properties and is one of Ayurveda’s most potent cleansing and rejuvenating elixirs. Aloe Vera is an amazing versatile plant – it truly is nature at its finest. Don’t use in pregnancy.
- Take 1-2 tablespoons every morning on an empty stomach for a cooling, cleansing start to the day. Aloe vera will remove excess heat from the intestines
- The fresh juice or gel can be applied externally for sunburn and any signs of heat irritation of the skin (rashes, burns). It’s worth keeping a plant for this purpose, so you can lightly rub the affected area with a cut leaf.
Rose petals are especially good for reducing heat. They also treat the heart, nerves and lift the spirits. They have an affinity for the blood and are astringent which helps reduce inflammation and stop sweating. As well as an anti-depressant, rose is also an aphrodisiac. Rose also opens the heart chakra, increasing patience, compassion and love. No indications known, though take caution in pregnancy.
- To use, spray water externally for instant cooling. Great to keep a bottle handy for those hot tube journeys and your fellow travellers will benefit too.
- Take rose water internally (1tsp with water 3X/day) to pacify Pitta
- Clean your face in rose water every morning to clear heat related skin issues. Make your own rose water by boiling fresh petals and condensing the steam into another vessel.
- Anoint yourself with rose oil on the third eye, throat and navel to keep these centres of awareness cool, calm and collected.
Members of the Mint family (eg: Peppermint, Spearmint) have a mild, soothing action on nerves and digestion, helping to relax the body and clear the mind and senses. Mints contain large amounts of the ether element, whose action is soothing, cooling, clarifying and expanding. Drink it cold or hot in the evening to aid digestion.